Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Song

Tool – Parabola

This song is the one. This is the song that never ceases to rattle my nerves every time I listen to it. Not only does the song generate from the same genre I typically listen to, but it is also played by my favorite band, Tool. I first heard Tool when I was in middle school and since then I’ve been hooked and still listen to them religiously. This song in particular, “Parabola”, really speaks to me in a way that very other few songs do. I consciously believe this song alone has done so much for me in my life.

From the very first time I heard the sound tingle from my Boston surround sound speaker system, I knew “Parabola” was the best song I had ever heard. The tone set by the opening guitar felt so mystifying to me. I couldn’t explain the way it felt when I heard their vocalist, Maynard James Keenan. His addition to the song is purely for the unique sound of music and to be a completion of the other three band members alongside him. The song is divided into two halves, “Parabol” and “Parabola”, one being the introduction and the other the sequel. The rhythm of the song shifts tremendously once the sequel begins and Maynard begins yelling into the microphone. I believe this shift represents a breakthrough. In many ways to me, this breakthrough can be related to almost anything… a fight, graduating college or even daydreaming of being the hero quarterback of the Superbowl. Personally, a great song provides an imagination behind that song that parallels with the message. With “Parabola”, I always find a way to relate it to my life and it gives me great motivation to strive harder and work longer. Not only does it give me energy, it also provides a great stress relief. Much of this is credited to the spiritual lyrics Maynard adds into the song. His style of wording and his thought process is unlike any other artist I have ever researched. “Parabola” is unlike any other song I have ever heard. I can listen to it at all points in the day and it will always make me feel better. I believe that this song will remain the theme of my life for many years to come.

Tool. “Parabola.” Lateralus. Volcano Entertainment, 2001.


Album Artwork

1 comment:

  1. Great job Nick. Very descriptive, and I know what you mean - finding a song that motivates you and resonates throughout your life is an inspirational feeling. I'm familiar with Tool but I don't know this song - now I'm gonna have to check it out. Thanks for including the citation too. Awesome album art.
    FULL CREDIT
    - jeff

    ReplyDelete